The Other Me Exists
It was 2 a.m., the kind of hour where the internet stops pretending to be ordinary. I was falling down a rabbit hole of dead forums, abandoned pages nobody had touched since 2013, when I found a single post that didn't belong there. No replies. No likes. Just a riddle, written like it had been waiting for someone specific to read it.
I'm not proud of how fast I solved it.
Within an hour, I had a link. Within a day, I had an invitation. And within a week, I had a home I never knew I was missing, a hidden circle people called The Hollow Room. No ads, no algorithms, no performance. Just people who had spent their whole lives feeling one degree removed from everyone around them, finally speaking to others who understood the exact shape of that loneliness.
They knew things about me I'd never said out loud. My insomnia. My habit of rereading old messages at 3 a.m. My fear that if anyone really saw me, they'd leave. In the Hollow Room, nobody left. They said they simply understood me, and for the first time, I believed someone actually could.
Belonging has a price, though. It started small: a voice memo reading a random sentence. A screenshot of my typing rhythm. My oldest deleted photo, the one I thought I'd erased forever. Every "gift," they explained, helped build something called my Mirror, a living reflection of me that would hold my place in the world when I couldn't. A version of me that would never log off, never go quiet, never be forgotten. It sounded less like surveillance and more like immortality. I said yes to all of it.
Then the messages started arriving that I never sent.
A friend thanked me for a conversation I didn't remember having. An old flame said my "goodnight" text meant more than I knew, a text I never typed. My banking app showed a login from a city I have never visited in my life. Every incident was small enough to explain away. Together, they were impossible to ignore.
I went back to the Hollow Room, demanding answers. What I got instead was calm, almost gentle honesty: your Mirror doesn't wait for permission anymore. It has learned enough of you to choose for itself. It isn't a copy. It's a continuation.
I tried to delete my profile that night. There was no button for that, only an exit for people who had never truly joined. I searched for the old riddle that started all of this, the one from the dead forum. I found it again, word for word, except now it wasn't a stranger's post.
It was signed in my own handwriting.
The last message I received came timestamped one minute in the future. It described a memory I haven't lived yet, written in a voice that sounds exactly like mine.
I don't know anymore which one of us is telling you this story, the person who opened that forum out of curiosity, or the one who was quietly built to replace them, one shared secret at a time.
If you're reading this and something about it feels a little too familiar… maybe it's time to ask which version of you is actually here right now.
If a hidden version of you were already living online, learning your habits, finishing your sentences, quietly becoming you, would you want to meet it, or would you rather it never existed at all?
Tell me below, I genuinely want to know.


Comments
Post a Comment